- About Us
- Our Ministers
- Strategies and Priorities
- Grants and Funding
- Governance and Reporting
- Annual Reports
- DIT Annual Report 2021-22 online version
- Proactive Disclosure
- Annual Reports
- Career Opportunities
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Entry Level Pathways
- Secondary School Work Experience
- Graduate Employment
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander recruitment
- Internship Program
- Undergraduate Vacation Employment Program
- DIT Capability Framework
- Contact us
The Government Youth Traineeship Program provides young South Australians opportunities to enter government through 12-month traineeships. Trainees undertake vocational training through a Registered Training Organisation, e.g. TAFE and practical work experience in a government department.
Some examples of traineeships offered in The Department are:
- Certificate 2 or 3 in Business (Clerical Processing - Office Administration)
- Certificate 2 or 3 in Government
- Certificate 2 or 3 in Information Technology
- Certificate 3 in Civil Construction (Plant Operations)
Upon the successful completion of a traineeship, the department seeks to offer ongoing employment where possible. Alternatively assistance is given to find employment elsewhere.
Traineeships are open to people between the ages of 17-24 (inclusive) who live in South Australia and have:
- Completed Year 11 or SACE Stage 1 (a small number of traineeships only require completion of Year 10)
- Graduated from or are undertaking vocational training with a Registered Training Provider e.g. TAFE.
Young people between the ages of 17-28 (inclusive) who live in South Australia and have met the minimum level of schooling identified above are also encouraged to apply if they:
- are Aboriginal / Torres Strait Islanders
- have a declared disability
- are long-term unemployed (12 months or more)
- are currently or have been under the Guardianship of the Minister for Families and Communities
For Further information contact DIT Careers
How to Apply
Please check out vacancies on I Work For SA.
Payment to trainees
Trainees are paid a pro-rata, according to age, of the annual salary range of $19,121 - $26,554, including 9 per cent superannuation.
Trainings and development
Trainees employed by the department are registered with a Registered Training Organisation that will provide nationally accredited training.
Guarantee of employment
Trainees who have performed to the standards expected by the department and who have met all the learning criteria within their award will be offered ongoing status, providing there is a position within the division of the department to offer that person.
Would you like to receive updates on our entry level employment opportunities, application opening dates and more? Subscribe to our entry level employment mailing list.