Interesting facts - Stage 1
Interesting facts about Stage 1 include:
- More than 300 000 trees, shrubs and native grasses have been planted along the expressway.
- The expressway has four lanes with a 90 km/h speed limit, reducing to 60 km/h over the Eastern Parade overpass.
- A total of 1.7 million tonnes of recycled material was used for Stage 1 roadworks, which is equivalent to 75 000 fully loaded semi-trailers.
- The expressway is expected to carry 40 000 vehicles daily in 2011, with 29 000 vehicles on South Road and 30 000 on Hanson Road.
- Following the opening of the expressway in July 2005, traffic volumes have peaked at 22 000 vehicles per day - traffic which was previously on the adjacent road network.