Port Road, West Lakes Boulevard and Cheltenham Parade intersection upgrade
About the Project
The Department for Infrastructure and Transport (DIT) is upgrading the intersection of Port Road, West Lakes Boulevard and Cheltenham Parade. This $6 million State Government funded project will address existing safety and capacity issues and provide better integration with the adjacent Grange Railway Line crossing, by making the following improvements:
- Road widening in central Port Road median to provide two through lanes and new dedicated right turn lane from West Lakes Boulevard to Port Road;
- A new through lane northbound from West Lakes Boulevard to Port Road median;
- Road widening on Cheltenham Parade to provide two through lanes and a dedicated left turn lane from Cheltenham Parade to Port Road;
- Road widening on Port Road to provide new dual left turn lanes westbound into West Lakes Boulevard and an extension of dual lanes south bound on West Lakes Boulevard;
- New and upgraded pedestrian ramps and footpaths on both sides of the Port Road median;
- New and upgraded traffic signals and road lighting;
- Upgraded pedestrian crossings within the intersection including new pedestrian crossing lights;
- Dedicated bicycle lanes on all approaches of the intersection and through the intersection; and,
- New kerb and gutter where road widening is occurring (eastern and western sides of Port Road median area, southern side of West Lakes Boulevard, and eastern side of Cheltenham Parade).
The upgrade is expected to support approximately 15 full time equivalent jobs over the life of the project.
click to enlarge
DIT COVID-19 Response
The Department will continue to tailor community engagement opportunities in line with the latest COVID-19 advice from health authorities.
Face-to-face engagement opportunities may be restricted and we will continue to be guided by the advice of health authorities, with the health and safety of our stakeholders always our highest priority.
Engagement with community and industry is crucial and we will facilitate information sessions as much as possible to enable face to face engagement. It is important to assist in managing these events that you register as requested to enable physical distancing as much as possible.
15/05/2020 - Project Notification - Start of main works
20/01/2020 - Project Update
27/01/2019 - Early Works - relocation of services
Main works commenced in late May and were completed in October 2020.
Should you require further information, please email DIT at email@example.com or telephone 1300 794 880