Gorge Road and Silkes Road Junction Upgrade
The Department for Infrastructure and Transport (the Department) will be improving safety and traffic flow at the junction of Gorge Road and Silkes Road, Paradise. This $3.6 million project is being delivered by the State Government to improve safety for all road users.
The Gorge Road and Silkes Road Junction Upgrade project includes the installation of traffic signals at the Gorge Road and Silkes Road Intersection, Paradise. The project will also have benefits for the Gorge Road and Pattinson Road intersection (approximately 35 metres to the east).
This $3.6 million State Government funded Election commitment is being delivered to improve safety particularly for those turning right from Silkes Road onto Gorge Road. In the five year period between 2016 and 2020 inclusive there was a total of 18 crashes across the two junctions, with the majority involving vehicles turning right from Silkes Road into Gorge Road.
Together with the installation of traffic lights, the junction upgrade will include:
- Signalisation of pedestrian crossings at the junction of Gorge and Silkes Roads.
- Widening along Gorge Road and at the corners of Gorge Road with both Silkes Road and Pattinson Road.
- An extension of the right turn lane from Gorge Road into Silkes Road.
- An extension of the right turn lane from Gorge Road into Pattinson Road.
- An extended storage lane for the right turn from Gorge Road into Pattinson Road
- Installation of a raised median to separate Gorge Road traffic turning right into Silkes Road from traffic turning right onto Pattinson Road.
- Installation of a pedestrian refuge across Gorge Road and Pattinson Road.
- New LED lighting, pavement surfacing and line marking for the extent of the works.
Start of Major Construction
Major construction works are scheduled to commence on Friday, 2 July 2021, and are expected to be completed late 2021, weather permitting. Works will be undertaken intermittently each day, Monday to Saturday, between 6.30am and 5pm. Advanced notification will be provided night works are required.
Gorge, Silkes and Pattinson roads will remain open during the works, however to safely undertake the works, temporary speed and lane restrictions will be in place. Please take extra care when workers are on site. Observe speed limits, lane restrictions and traffic controllers when travelling through the area.
Local Business Support
The Department is committed to working with businesses to minimise impacts that may result from construction activities. As part of the detailed design phase, the Department will engage with local businesses to ensure feedback from business owners is considered, and to understand how to best support the businesses during construction. Support for businesses will include project contact details, information, project notification, promotion and signage.
Community and Stakeholder Engagement
The Department held a community information session on Tuesday, 8 December 2020, at Paradise Primary School. Thank you to all local community members who attended to provide feedback and enable the project team to answer questions.
After considering the community feedback, whilst also taking into consideration project objectives, the concept plan has been updated to include:
- An extension of the storage lane for the right turn from Gorge Road into Pattinson Road.
- Installation of a pedestrian refuge across Gorge Road (located to the east of Pattinson Road).
Major works for the project commence 2 July, 2021, with completion expected in late 2021, weather permitting.
Contact the project
If you have any further enquiries or would like to register your interest in the project to receive updates, please: