Thomas Foods International access project, Murray Bridge
About the Project
In support of Thomas Foods International’s major private investment in a new state-of-the-art meat processing facility, to be located six kilometres north of Murray Bridge on Mannum Road, supporting roadworks were competed in early December 2020.
The Australian and South Australian governments committed $14 million, split 50:50, for the planning, design and construction of these roadworks to provide access to the new facility.
The Rural City of Murray Bridge Council managed the roadworks construction which was completed by Downer EDI (in-conjunction with locally based Spry Constructions). This project has provided a new 2.2 kilometre public access road and an associated junction at Mannum Road. The new junction includes a protected right turn lane, as well as deceleration and acceleration lanes to assist with safety and traffic flows along Mannum Road.
The new meat processing facility will employ up to 2,000 staff when fully operational and will enable use of higher productivity freight vehicles to serve the site’s transport requirements.
An initial investigation into the provision of safe access for staff and high productivity vehicles between the new site and the surrounding road network identified the need for a new junction and associated link road to provide a safe connection to Mannum Road.
The primary objectives of this project were:
- to support the major investment in new infrastructure by TFI that will improve local economic conditions within a South Australian regional town, leading to greater employment opportunities
- to provide safe access for the 2,000 staff vehicles and higher productivity freight vehicles to the new TFI meat processing facility, by provision of the new junction on Mannum Road and link road, as well as ensuring the safety for all road users along this section of Mannum Road
- to achieve the requirements for use of road train vehicles (up to 36.5m length) to enhance TFI’s economic competitiveness for transport of goods in the local, interstate and overseas markets
- to maximise the potential for additional development along the new link road.
If you have any questions, please
- email email@example.com
- telephone 1300 794 880 or
- write to GPO Box 1533, Adelaide SA 5001.