Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Logo for Connect, the department's newsletter

What is Rail Safety Work?

Rail Safety Work is defined within S.8(1) of Rail Safety National Law (RSNL) as work which includes:

  • Driving or despatching rolling stock or any other activity which is capable of controlling or affecting the movement of rolling stock.
  • Signalling (and signaling operations), receiving or relaying communications or any other activity which is capable of controlling or affecting the movement of rolling stock.
  • Coupling or uncoupling rolling stock.
  • Maintaining, repairing, modifying, monitoring, inspecting or testing:
    • Rolling stock, including checking that the rolling stock is working properly before being used.
    • Rail infrastructure.
  • Installation of components in relation to rolling stock.
  • Work on or about rail infrastructure relating to the design, construction, repair, modification, maintenance, monitoring, upgrading, inspection or testing of the rail infrastructure or associated works or equipment, including checking that the rail infrastructure is working properly before being used.
    This does not include those persons who are engaged in the actual drawing aspect of design work and undertake their task mainly within an office environment.
  • Installation or maintenance of:
    • A telecommunications system relating to rail infrastructure or used in connection with rail infrastructure.
    • The means of supplying electricity directly to rail infrastructure or to any rolling stock using rail infrastructure or to a telecommunications system.
  • Work involving certification as to the safety of rail infrastructure or rolling stock or any part or component of rail infrastructure or rolling stock.
  • Work involving the decommissioning of rail infrastructure or rolling stock or any part or component of rail infrastructure or rolling stock.
  • Work involving the development, management or monitoring of safe working systems for railways.
    e.g. Rail Rules Manager, Safety Advisors, Safety Auditors.
  • Work involving the management or monitoring or passenger safety on, in or at any railway.
    e.g. Network Operations Supervisor, Conductors, Security Personnel, Rolling Stock Engineering / Maintenance Workers.

If you are unsure of whether what you are planning to do is Rail Safety Work or not, contact Network Access for advice.

I am a contractor conducting Rail Safety Work in the Rail Corridor, what form of Induction do I require?

You will need to apply for a Rail Industry Worker (RIW) Card. You will need to complete the DIT Operator Role requirements before your RIW Card can be issued. These requirements are:

  • TLIF2080 Safely Access the Rail Corridor (SARC); and
  • DIT Rail Commissioners Safety Induction.

For further information, click here.

I only need to deliver materials to the Rail Corridor, I am not conducting any work within the corridor, just delivering. Do I need an RIW card or undertake an Online Induction?

No, you do not require an RIW card or DITs Rail Commissioners Safety Induction.

Delivery Drivers entering the AMPRN Rail Corridor are required to:

  • Be under the constant supervision of an AMPRN Inducted person, AND
  • Be briefed by and follow all directions of the nominated Protection Officer.

The work I have been asked to do is a "one off" job within the Rail Corridor for a specific task, I don't normally work in rail and don't foresee that I will again in the future. Do I need an RIW Card for this one job?

No, "one off" jobs, where it is deemed not reasonably practical for you or your company to hold an RIW Card can be exempted.

You will however be required to undertake the online training DIT Rail Commissioners Safety Induction and you will be accompanied by a Protection Officer at all times when you are within the Rail Corridor.

I need to organise contractors to do some concrete work in Glengowrie Tram Depot Yard. Do I need to get all of these contractors an RIW Card?

No, where work is conducted within a depot and the local depot arrangements can exclude rolling stock from the work area, then an RIW Card is not required.

Workers will need to undertake the online training DIT Rail Commissioners Safety Induction and also the specific depot induction before work can be undertaken.

I completed the DIT Rail Commissioners Safety Induction a while ago for a previous project that I was working on. How long is my certificate valid for?

Refresher training of the online induction DIT Rail Commissioners Safety inducation is required 3-yearly.  For an RIW cardholder with the role DIT Operator the re-completion evidence needs to be uploaded to the competency for the role to remain valid. Refresher training may be mandated earlier following an incident, a breach of AMPRN Rules and Procedures or at the discretion of the Team Leader Network Access if deemed applicable.

I am not a Rail Safety Worker but I am working on the road and footpath on the Shared Tram Corridor at Jetty Road, Glenelg. Do I need an induction?

If you meet any of requirements requiring authorisation from Network Access as detailed in Accessing the AMPRN Procedure (PR-RC-NA-267) then you will require DIT Rail Commissioners Safety Induction.

I am required to re-stock the vending machines within Dry Creek depot, what form of Induction do I require?

You will only require the Dry Creek Depot Induction. This does not constitute Rail Safety Work and you will not be required to access the Rail Corridor.

How do I undertake DIT Rail Commissioners Safety Induction?

The DIT Rail Commissioners Safety Induction is an online induction that takes approximately 40 minutes to complete. On completion you will receive a certificate on your smart device and this certificate and a form of photo ID will need to be shown when you arrive on site. Details on how to undertake this form of induction can be found on the Network Access internet page using the following link:

What evidence of competency am I required to present when accessing the Rail Corridor?

Any persons accessing the Rail Corridor must hold, carry and present evidence of their required induction. For RIW Card Holders, they shall have a RIW Card on them at all times.  DIT will accept both a physical and virtual RIW Card.

For persons holding the DIT Rail Commissioners Safety Induction to the AMPRN, they shall have either a legible printed or digital copy of their completion certificate and photo ID available for presentation to any Protection Officer, Rail Safety Officer or other Rail Commissioner Worker on request.

I am a contractor with an RIW Card obtained interstate, what else do I require to access the AMPRN Rail Corridor?

To access the Rail Corridor you will require the DIT Operator – Contractor role which has the following competencies:

  • TLIF2080 Safely Access the Corridor (SARC) (accredited unit of competency)
  • Online learning module DIT Rail Comissioners Safety Induction (online eLearning module accessed through the RIW system)

For more information on assigning a job role and awarding competencies on your RIW Card refer to "How do I complete the required induction?" for Rail Safety Workers.

I manage contractors who access the AMPRN Rail Corridor, what is required of me?

Ensure your contractors understand the requirements to access the Rail Corridor and if required, obtain the job role and relevant competencies and/or induction.

I work for a utility provider and require access to the Rail Corridor, I am not undertaking work for or on behalf of the Rail Commissioner . What induction do I require?

As you are not undertaking work on behalf of DIT or the Rail Commissioner you are considered an ‘External Third Party’. Following the Network Access Application you are required to undertake the DIT Rail Commissioners Safety Induction.