Grand Junction, Hampstead and Briens Road Intersection Upgrade
About the project
The Australian and South Australian Governments jointly funded the $19 million upgrade of the Grand Junction, Hampstead and Briens Road Intersection. The upgrade is expected to support approximately 15 full-time equivalent jobs per year, over the life of the project.
Grand Junction Road and Hampstead Road are key to freight movement and the existing single right turn lane at the intersection causes problems due to the slow acceleration of heavy vehicles. There is a need for additional capacity on all approaches to the intersection to allow for this movement by duplicating the existing right turn lane.
On average more than 63,100 vehicles travel through the intersection each day. There have been 91 crashes at the intersection in the past five years, including 28 casualty crashes. Approximately 45% of all crashes were rear end crashes.
The intersection treatments included:
- the widening of Grand Junction Road (east side), with the extension of the right turn lane onto Briens Road travelling northbound, signalised left turn lane onto Hampstead Road travelling southbound, and three through lanes on Grand Junction Road;
- the widening of Grand Junction Road (west side), with the installation of dual right turn lanes onto Hampstead Road travelling southbound and three through lanes on Grand Junction Road;
- widening of Briens Road to accommodate dual right turn lanes onto Grand Junction Road travelling westbound and signalised left turn lane onto Grand Junction Road travelling eastbound;
- the widening of Hampstead Road, to accommodate the proposed treatments;
- upgraded pedestrian crossings within the intersection, including new pedestrian crossing lights and ramps;
- dedicated bicycle lanes on all approaches;
- pavement construction and surfacing; and
- new and upgraded traffic signals, road lighting, line marking, and drainage.
Please note, this is an artist's impression for illustrative purposes only. For further information download a copy of the current plan.
If you have any further enquiries or would like to register your interest in the project to receive updates, please: