- About us
- Career Opportunities
- Working in the Department
- Other Entry Pathways
- Overseas Candidates
- Infrastructure Careers
- Executive Employment Opportunities
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Entry Level Pathways
- Secondary School Work Experience
- Graduate Employment
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander recruitment
- Internship Program
- Undergraduate Vacation Employment Program
- DPTI Capability Framework
- Career Opportunities
- Annual report
- Open Government
- Social Media
- Government Employee Housing
- Office Accommodation Services
- Property Division
- Building Projects
- Who We Are and What We Do
- PSC Accreditation Framework
- Traffic Volumes
- Keeping Metro Traffic Moving
- Regional aviation funding
- Forecast Transport Data
- COVID-19 Industry Information
- Getting your head around roundabouts
- Remote Areas Consultative Group (RACG)
- A simpler way to navigate
- Keeping the point-to-point community COVID SAfe
- COVID-19 Response
The Government Youth Traineeship Program provides young South Australians opportunities to enter government through 12-month traineeships. Trainees undertake vocational training through a Registered Training Organisation, e.g. TAFE and practical work experience in a government department. The Department of Infrastructure and Transport (DIT) recruits over 30 trainees every year and provides additional training, support and networking opportunities.
Some examples of traineeships offered in The Department are:
- Certificate 2 or 3 in Business (clerical processing – office administration)
- Certificate 2 or 3 in Government
- Certificate 2 or 3 in Information Technology
- Certificate 2 or 3 in Plant Operations
Upon successful completion of a traineeship, DIT seeks to offer ongoing employment where possible. Alternatively assistance is given to find employment elsewhere.
Current Traineeship Vacancies
For current traineeship vacancies, please see www.dpti.sa.gov.au/careers
Who can apply?
Young people between the ages of 17-30 (inclusive) who live in South Australia and have:
- completed Year 11 or SACE Stage 1 (a small number of traineeships only require completion of Year 10); or
- graduated from or are undertaking vocational training with a Registered Training Provider e.g. TAFE.
Young people between the ages of 17-30(inclusive) who live in South Australia and have met the minimum level of schooling identified above are also encouraged to apply if they:
- are Aboriginal / Torres Strait Islanders
- have a declared disability
- are long-term unemployed (12 months or more)
- are currently or have been under the Guardianship of the Minister for Communities and Social Inclusion.
You can apply for a traineeship at any time during the year. For further information contact DPTI.AboriginalEngagementandInclusion@sa.gov.au
See I Work for SA . Trainee positions advertised will include:
- Traineeship Application Form
- Traineeship Information (includes guide on preparing your resume and interview tips)
- Job and Person Specification
Please take particular note of the closing date for all roles.
Payment for trainees
Trainees are paid a pro-rata, according to age, of the annual salary range of $11,998 - $31,195 including 9 per cent superannuation.
Training and development
Trainees employed by DIT are registered with a Registered Training Organisation that will provide nationally accredited training.
Guarantee of employment
Trainees who have performed to the standards expected by DIT and who have met all the learning criteria within their award will be offered ongoing status, providing there is a position within the division of DIT to offer that person.
- If you are aged 17 to 30 years and are seeking an opportunity to gain on the job experience and an opportunity to complete Certificates 2 or 3, a traineeship will provide all of these options for you.
To register your interest or for more information contact the:
Aboriginal Cultural Consultant, Aboriginal Engagement & Inclusion
Department of Infrastructure and Transport
GPO Box 1533
Adelaide SA 5001
Phone: (08) 8402 1827