Goodwood, Springbank and Daws Road Intersection Upgrade
About the project
The $61 million project was jointly funded (50:50) by the Australian and South Australian governments. Major construction works commenced in late January 2021 with the new four-way intersection opened to traffic in April 2021.
Goodwood Road is one of southern Adelaide’s major north-south arterial routes, with Springbank Road and Daws Road providing a key east-west connection.
On average more than 60,000 vehicles a day travel through this location, with travel time delays in peak periods.
During the five-year period between 2015 and 2020 there were 35 reported crashes at the intersection including 11 casualty crashes.
Prior to finalising the design, the department investigated multiple options for this intersection. Following community feedback, new data and detailed costings, a realigned four-way intersection was delivered.
The treatments for the new intersection included:
- road widening on Goodwood Road to provide three through lanes southbound and a left turn onto Springbank Road;
- road widening on Goodwood Road to provide dual right turn lanes onto Daws Road;
- road realignment on Daws Road to provide two through lanes onto Springbank Road, and a left turn onto Goodwood Road (northbound);
- road realignment on Daws Road to provide dual right turn lanes onto Goodwood road (southbound);
- road realignment on Springbank Road to provide two through lanes onto Daws Road, and dual right turn lanes onto Goodwood road (northbound);
- road realignment on Springbank Road to provide dual controlled left turn lanes onto Goodwood Road (southbound);
- extension of dual right turn lanes from Goodwood Road onto Springbank Road;
- road widening on Goodwood Road to allow for an additional through lane northbound, and a left turn onto Daws Road;
- upgraded pedestrian crossings within the intersection, including new pedestrian crossing and lights;
- new and upgraded pedestrian ramps and footpaths around the intersection.
- new and upgraded traffic signals and road lighting;
- dedicated bicycle lanes on the approaches and through the intersection and
- new kerb and gutter where road realignment and widening. was completed.
Please note, this is an artist's impression for illustrative purposes only.
For further information
If you have any further enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 1300 794 880