You have to pass the theory test to get a learner's permit.
- You can take the test at any Customer Service Centre or remote country police station. You must book first.
- You must pay a fee every time you take the test.
- To pass the test you have to know the road rules.
- Part 1 of the test has 8 questions about giving way to other drivers. You must get all of these questions right before doing Part 2.
- Part 2 has 42 multiple-choice questions on road rules and safe driving. You must get 32 of these questions right.
- You can practice the test here on the My Licence website.
- You can do the test on a computer screen, or in writing. It will take you about 30 minutes.
- If you don't speak English, an interpreter will be provided. This will be free of charge the first time you take the test.
- If you live in the APY or MT Lands you can get help preparing for the test. Go to the Remote section of this website.
- When you do the test you must bring proof of identity with you.
If you pass the test you will be given a temporary learner’s permit straight away. You will have to pay a fee for this.
Your full learner’s permit, with your photograph, will be posted to you. It will be good for 2 years.